I’ve read lots of your posts about the effect of detergents on skin when used in body cleaning products and laundry products. Another detergent I’ve been thinking about in my house is the one I use in my dishwasher. Is there any research into the effects of eating and cooking with dishes washed in detergent? Are the chemicals getting transferred into our bodies or do they always rinse off completely? Thanks for all the great information you provide on your website.
What a great question.
Back when I was a hippy I lived in a co-operative household. One of my jobs was to do the dishes. Being young and foolish I rinsed the dishes in cold water trying to be more ecological. We were using common dish detergent products at that time. Well, all of us started getting cold symptoms that never went away. After months of this a Doctor asked if we rinsed our dishes in cold water. Sure enough, once we stopped ingesting detergents we all got better.
First lesson is to rinse your dishes (and your clothes) in hot water to remove detergent residues.
Second lesson is to replace detergent chemicals with natural liquid soap!
All the Best,